Monday, February 24, 2014

St. Paul

For a long time I couldn't understand much of what St. Paul wrote.
Most of us know his verse that's read at weddings "love is patient,
love is kind"...etc. , but not much more. Neither did I.

However, the more I heard him quoted (from various sources), the more
I began to read and experience the meanings behind his powerful words.

I realized I'd better "listen up" where Paul was concerned, because he
was chosen  specifically by Jesus Christ to teach the Gentiles (us) what
He was all about. And teach he does.There is an urgency in Paul that I've only recently perceived-an urgency which produces the most remarkable statements and insights that cannot help but demand our attention.

These verses are mixed in with concerns about daily life, and directions
for the Churches. Suddenly, as if Christ is whispering in his ear, he writes:"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ, not..." and he goes through every possibile trouble we could endure, and finishes with..."Nor height nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I'd heard this before, and thought "Yeah, I know He loves me, I guess.
At least in theory." No! What Paul means is that Christ's love for us is so great right now, that no matter what happens, or what we feel, or
what we think, His love is trying to get through to us, beaming down like the sun. We can't always sense it or let it through, but it EXISTS, nonetheless.

So much more to be said about St. Paul's message, but that's for another time. Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment