Sunday, February 2, 2014

"The Journey Home"

For those who do not know,"The Journey Home" is a program on EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network), the Catholic station. (By the way, other than the Mormons, the Catholics are the only denomination to have it's own station.) This show was very instrumental in bringing me back to the Church. Here's why...

As I was flipping through stations, I saw a handsome 40-ish man speaking intently to a beautiful young woman. Just out of curiosity, I stopped and watched. They were talking about her conversion from the Episcopal Church to the Catholic Church. He (Marcus Grodi) was asking pointed questions concerning the reasons for her conversion. My first thought was "Oh come on-someone is actually converting TO CATHOLICISM? I've got to see this...."

You must understand, most Catholics I'd ever known were running AWAY from the Church, not TO it. Running away in droves, I might add. After my initial shock, I was intrigued. Her answers to Marcus' questions were simple-familiar to those of us brought up in the Faith: The presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the power of the Sacraments, Mary, the Saints, etc. She was extremely educated and intelligent, studying for her Phd in Theology. Her conclusion was that Christianity WAS Catholicism.

I thought about it, and began watching every week. The main appeal for me was it's intellectual tone. Guests gave very specific, rational reasons for their conversion (or RE-VERSION).  For the most part, Marcus' guests were articulate, often students of Biblical history. Since I am one who must know "why", I discovered much about my own Faith. Sometimes it is a CONVERT who can show us the clearest picture of what we cannot see for ourselves. Things Catholics take for granted are new to them, and their beauty and truth is evident.

One caveat. If you are angry at the Church; if your mind is not open, this must be dealt with, first. I was not angry, just indifferent. I had come to understand that Christ was the key to our lives, but was still searching.

Please make "The Journey Home" a part of your tv schedule. Your Faith will be strengthened in so many ways. Marcus Grodi is an expert on extracting the exact thought, the exact moment that brought the speaker to the Church. Besides, I like a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment